06 September 2014

North Lanarkshire

I took a trip to the North Lanarkshire Heritage Centre today to have a look into the miners photo that I mentioned before. While they weren't able to answer everything I wanted to know (e.g. who is pictured), they were able to tell me they got the photo from a "Mr Frank Dullick". They also had a fair bit of local history material on the Lithuanian community. The person working the desk was really helpful and was able to provide a lot of good leads.

A Match

Mr. Frank Dullick

Mr Dullick actually came up a few times. He appears to have been an active member in the Scottish Lithuanian Social Club. Turns out he's mentioned in the Lithuanians in Scotland book by John Millar, according to which his name was actually Frank Džiodulikas. A newspaper clipping in the collection also mentioned him with regard to a Radio Scotland program about the Lithuanian community that aired way back in 1980, on the 19th of February, to be exact. I'd really like to see if I can find that.

From page 56

On BBC Radio Scotland

It's not clear from what was in the file whether or not Mr Dullick was related to anybody in the photo, or if it was just in his possession. They had two files on the Lithuanian community: one that was mostly general history and another that was specifically about family history. They also had a microfilm name index for people who appeared in the Motherwell Times. There were no entries for Kisielius or Raulinaitis, but I did find an article on Peter Rolwich and a couple possible matches for Cassells.

Motherwell Times, 20 Aug 1981

They've got a subject index for the same paper as well, that has multiple entries under "Lithuania". It's probably worth looking at more, not so much for family history, but just for general interest.

There were copies of the various academic papers that I've read mentioned before (Rodgers 1982, Rodgers 1983White 1975, White 2004), but there were others that I hadn't heard about (Lunn 1979, Rodgers n.d.). I haven't read them yet, but I will. I also came across a few things that mention the Anglo-Russian Military Convention, so I'll need to look into that more.

On the website it mentioned that they have the poor relief records as well, but I was told they can only be viewed during weekday hours. Although, my great-grandmother Sofija would probably not be in that book. She'll probably be in the one for Glasgow, which I was told should be at the Mitchell Library in Glasgow. I was told they may even have some police or alien registration records. I'll definitely need to make time to check up on those. The Police Museum in Glasgow might be another place to check, *if* the records even exist.

Another new lead is the Edinburgh Gazette (supposedly available online), which published name changes in Scotland from around the time of the Bolshevik Revolution. They must have wanted to keep tabs of potential revolutionaries!

Finally, I was told that I would need to contact the Social History Curator, but I should be able to see the Lithuanian objects that they've got in their collection.

That's quite a lot for only going to ask about a photo! Why didn't I go earlier?

No comments:

Post a Comment