22 May 2012

Kisielius Siblings

Among the many Kisielius records that I frantically downloaded before close-of-business on my last visit to the archive was one for Marrie Valaitis, maiden name Kisieliute (family name Kisielius, using the Lithuanian naming conventions).

Death:  Marrie Valaitis (Kisieliute), 1975

This one caught my attention because "Valaitis" was one of the names mentioned by my Uncle Jimmy (actually my great-uncle-in-law) when I was home last December.  He explained that Kazimiras Sr, my great-grandfather, wasn't the only one of the Kisielius' to emigrate to Scotland.  He had 5 brothers who went with him (Andrew, John, ???, ???, ???) and a sister who they saved money to bring over later.  He told me she married and took the name Valaitis.  I'm quite certain the record above is her!

Kazimiras and Zose's marriage record reports "Michael" Kisielius and "Catherine" Arn???iute as his parents.  I had already suspected those were just Anglicized versions of their Lithuanian names because Motiejus Raulinitis came up as "Matthew" on the same record.  Marrie's death record confirms it, listing them as Mykolas and Katarina.

Marriage:  Kazimiras and Zose, 1917

It's a pretty exciting find because now it is quite likely that I'll find relatives from Kisielius branch living here as well.  More to come as I sort through these records further.

[UPDATE:  The rest of the records didn't contain any other Kisielius's that I think I'm related to.  That's a disappointment, but it makes sense.  They would have all been in the age range that would have been affected by the Anglo-Russian Military Convention, just as Kazimiras Sr was.  I'm pretty sure some of them ended up in the United States, in the coal mining region of Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, in order to avoid military conscription (if the living memories are correct).  I just didn't know if some stayed behind.  Apart from Marrie Valaitis, it doesn't appear that they did.  So far, though, I've only searched the death records.  There's a chance that I might still get lucky and find some marriage records to help track them down in the US.]

2 comments:

  1. Hi
    I was looking for Michael Kisuelius and found this posting. I'm doing this for the Keiser family of Kulpmont PA. Michael and Mary's children (Mary, Walter, Anthony) arrived in 1898. Michael (Mike) came earlier. Mary did not come. Must have died because he married someone else her. Does this mean anything to you? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete