21 April 2013

Matulis Group

Of all the names I'm connected to, the one I've written about the least is the one I carry, Matulis.  I get it, of course, from my paternal grandfather Vacys Matulis, who was born in Lithuania (in the town of Pasvalys, I believe) in 1923.  We always referred to him as Tevuk, which is short for Tevukus, Lithuanian for grandpa.  He was a truly exceptional man with incredible stories (though with a penchant for embellishment!).  He fled Lithuania during World War II and (if my understanding of his stories is correct) was in the German labor camps - a truly horrific experience that left him emotionally scarred and a bit paranoid.  One of my favorite things about Tevuk was how he used to tell of these times.  Unfortunately I was mostly told these stories before I had a real grasp on the history or context, so my memories are mostly vague outlines of what probably actually happened.  I'll refrain from recounting them just yet, as they'd most likely be filled with inaccuracies.  My cousin, Nick, made a fair number of recordings years back, so someday when I can get them from him, I'll be able to make better sense of my grandfather's backstory.

One thing that is absolutely clear in my mind is that Tevuk was just about the hardest worker you could imagine.  He had a work ethic that is just hard to find these days.  It something that is common in immigrant communities regardless of where they come from, probably partly due to the fact that they feel as though they must constantly prove their worth.  He used to tell me about how he would work on the family farm as a kid from dusk to dawn.  I recall him telling me how he worked the night shift at his regular job when he first arrived in the US and then all day renovating the small cottage they lived in.  He saved his pennies and eventually sold the house he fixed up to buy the farm in East Schodack in cash.  That farm is part of some of my earliest memories.  He was a proud farmer that continued to grow an impressive garden into his later years.  Below is a photo of that garden.

Out, standing in his field.

Tevuk met my grandmother while they were in a displaced persons in Germany in the aftermath of WWII.  Her first husband had only recently passed away from a stroke and she was no doubt still in mourning.  But during that era gender roles were very rigid, and I believe she felt as though she needed somebody to support her.  They married and my uncle "Charlie" (Gediminas) was born while they were still in Germany.

Tevuk and Chute (probably just after arriving in USA)

On my most recent visit to New York, Chute gave me the address of a distant relative on the Matulis side who lives in New Hampshire.  Phyllis Ouellet is descended from the Zukauskas / Kemesis line, and her grandparents were the ones who sponsored Chute and Tevuk to come to the US.  I've never met Phyllis, but I wrote a letter and asked what she might know about the Matulis group.  Turns out she knew a fair few things and even had some fantastic old photos.  Using information from Phyllis and some old notes I had taken from Tevuk, I was able to re-create this pedigree showing the connection between us.

Konstantinas "Konstanty" was possibly married 3 times.
It is unclear if death or divorce was the reason.

As it shows above, my great-grandfather's name was Silvestris, which I've always known to be the source my, my father's, and my half-brother's middle name, Sylvester.  Phyllis pointed out, however, she had an uncle Sylvester Zukauskas, who was my father's god-father - no doubt that's part of how my dad got his middle name.  I speculated that maybe Andrew or Peturnelia Zukauskas knew Silvestris Matulis when they were still in Lithuania and that they named their son after him.  Phyllis agreed it was possible.

Phyllis also recalled when Chute and Tevuk first arrived.  They lived with her grandparents (Tevuk's aunt and uncle) briefly in Londonderry, NH along with her parents, her uncle, and her.  She was a about 6 years old, she tells me.  She remembers that Tevuk (who she knew as "Uncle Walter") used to ride a bike to Derry for work.  Being a bike person myself, I really enjoyed knowing that.  She believes he worked doing something with cement blocks.  Then, she adds, "whatever it was, it was hard work.  Your grandfather was not afraid of work."

She remembers that they eventually bought a duplex house on Arlington Street (#42 she believes) in Manchester, NH and that he then worked for Foster Beef (no doubt the meat packing company I recall him telling me about).  After that, she says, they moved to New Britain, CT where he worked in ball bearing manufacturing, and then to the farm in East Schodack, NY.  She's not certain which house it was that he renovated, but I think it must have been the one in New Britain.

She sent along heaps of old photos, which I've sent along to my uncle Mike and Chute to help translate the inscriptions.  My hope is that they will contain some helpful information, though most are damaged from having been glued into an album.

"Uncle Walter" is actually Vacys Matulis, my grandfather.
This is the first picture of Silvestris I've ever seen!  He bears a striking
resemblance to Tevuk as I remember him.  And Tevuk, second from the
right, does resemble the man I remember.

Tevuk and Chute
(probably after arriving in the US)

Back of the photo reads, "Uncle Walter's parents".
That's Silvestris Matulis and Ona Kemesis,
my great-grandparents.

I'm not certain who these people are yet because I can't read the Lithuanian
inscription, but I feel like I'm looking at myself when I see the man in the back left.

This one has mostly Lithuanian writing, but it also says
"Sylvester's Grandfather with third wife" in English.
That would mean it's Konstantinas Kemesis, my
2x-great-grandfather, with two people I'm unsure about.

There are several more photos, but I'll wait for Chute's and Mike's response before speculating who they are.

5 comments:

  1. Hello, my name is Christian waters and you probably don't know who I am but I am your younger half brother. We met once when I was probably 11. I have recently begun looking into the Matulis side of my family and I would really like to get in touch with you if you'd be interested. Hope to hear from you. You can email me at gonzo.waters94@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello:
    My name is Walter Matulis JR, a third generation American. My paternal Grandparents came from Vilnius Lithuania and entered the port of New Haven CT.in the very early 20th century as it turned, and settled in Massachusetts. First in Boylston, then Worcester.
    My Grandmother, Monica (Letsky) Matulis, and Grandpa Peter Matulis (a WW1 vet.) begat 3 daughters and a son, Walter Matulis SR. my dad. Perhaps we have a connection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Walter. There's not a connection that I know of, but it's not impossible! Our name isn't that common. I haven't found any of the Matulis lineage coming from Vilnius (though many of my relatives live there now). We came from Kurgulai (near present day Mitriunai and Pociuneliai in the county of Panevezys). It was a farm village. I don't know of a connection to Vilnius around the time you're talking about. Are you certain your grandparents came from Vilnius? Would be really interesting to do some digging and see if there's a connection! Send me your email address using this form and I'll get back to you: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSecI4qPfYGNPajTaZN52-1PmRxS4rQDHbh7M3uSjW3wZ0GGuw/viewform

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brett, nice history about the Matulis family. We met in Medina, OH some years ago at an Apanavicius Family reunion. Hope you are well. -Arunas-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you Arunas! It would be great to connect with you all again.

      Delete