25 April 2020

Unknown Wife of Mildred's Son

Scrolling back through some of my earlier posts, I discovered a couple of comments on a post about Konstancija Matulyte. They were posted months ago, back in the beginning of January, but for some reason, the system never notified me!


It's a shame that I wasn't notified, because I'd very much like to share information. The person commenting identifies herself as the wife of Mildred's son. Sadly, she only appears as "Unknown" in the comment box, so I have no way to get back in contact (without some serious genealogical sleuthing!).

The Mildred she refers to was Konstancija's younger daughter, which means her husband is my "second cousin, once removed". The other information in her comment is interesting in itself:
Lidmilla Auelija Pavilauskas was born 14 April 1921 in Manchester NH.
Mother Kostance Matutiuke Pavilauskas, age 28
Father Leonas Pavilauskas, age 31.
I'm not sure where that information comes from, but it matches the information I know (bar a few spelling peculiarities). I suspect that the real spelling is Liudmila Aurelija Povilauskas, based on my knowledge of Lithuanian names. But it is helpful to know the "Mildred" was actually "Liudmila". The other main thing is Konstancija's maiden name, "Matutiuke", is a corruption of Matulyte (the female version of my own name, Matulis). I've seen mispellings like this all over the place, including Mildred's sister's marriage record, where it appears as "Matulinkie". On that same record, the unmarried "Mildred Palas" appears as a witness, and signs in her own hand (and the address she includes, 109-48 118th Street, Queens, NY, still exists today!).

Mildred's married name was apparently Crabtree, according to her sister's obituary. So with some effort, I might be able to track down the person who posted these comments.

There's a lot I'd like to know about this distant branch of the family, particularly how Konstancija and her older sister Anna arrived in the United States. What brought them here? Was there other family? These are questions I'll continue to explore through genealogical records myself, but sometimes there can be clues buried in living memory, family photos, or old letters.

So please contact me, Unknown Wife of Mildred's Son! I can offer quite a lot of information about your family's Lithuanian ancestry. I'm fairly easy to find if you google me.

No comments:

Post a Comment