08 August 2019

Helen "Palas"

After my discovery of the Povilauskas / Hebenstreit marriage record last night, I decided to go back to the library this evening and have a look at the actual file. My hope was that this marriage certificate would identify Helen's parents. Helen's mother is the third sibling of Silvestras and Anna Sviatek. All I knew from my grandfather (Vacys) was that this sister had married somebody with the name Povilauskas -- he couldn't even remember her given name.

To my slight disappointment, the record turned out to be just an index. It doesn't have all the details of the record itself. There is a license number though, so it will eventually give get me to the record I'm looking for. In fact, I just happen to be going to New York City this weekend, so I should be able to get the record while I'm there.

Helen Povilauskas
NYC Marriage License #6987, 29 August 1940

In addition to this record though, I was also able to find a grave image and obituary for Helen: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/175691496/helen-hebenstreit. She only just recently died in 2017 at the age of 98! Here's what was written in her obituary:
Helen Palas Hebenstreit

Birth: 2 Mar 1918 New Hampshire, USA

Death: 10 Jan 2017 (aged 98)

Burial: South Florida National Cemetery, Lake Worth, Palm Beach County, Florida, USA

Memorial #: 175691496

Bio: Helen Hebenstreit, a North Palm Beach resident and former resident of North Caldwell, NJ, died January 10, 2017 at the age of 98. She was born March 2, 1918 in New Hampshire to the late Constance and Leon Palas. Helen was a past member of the Columbiette’s and volunteered at the Veteran’s Hospital in Florida. She loved children, flowers and animals. She is predeceased by her husband George, whom she was married to for over 70 years. She is survived by her children Debra Connors and her husband Timothy and Carolyn Hebenstreit. Also surviving are her grandchildren; Reece, Connor, Payton, Graham, Brennan, Timmy and Georgia. Helen is predeceased by her sister Mildred Crabtree. Interment Information - South Florida National Cemetery, 6501 S. State Road 7, Lake Worth, Florida.

Spouse: George A Hebenstreit 1917-2010
From www.findagrave.com

There's a lot of information there, and it should be helpful in finding more records. The main things that stand out are that Povilauskas was shortened to "Palas". Sara had actually told me yesterday that her aunt Jayne remembered them being called "Palace", phonetically the same. Knowing that they used "Palas" will definitely help me find them. The other thing is that her parents used the names Leon and Constance - that's them! Those are the two I'm looking for!! Constance is the sister of Anna and Silvestras. I'm quite sure those are both Anglicised - Leon and Constance aren't Lithuanian names - but "Leon and Constance Palas" might turn up on a census record. Finding those will be the next step.

No comments:

Post a Comment