12 October 2013

Anna Sviatek / Matuolis

I got confirmation today that Anna Sviatek is my grandfather's aunt. I found her marriage certificate from 1912 in New Hampshire. Her maiden name is listed as "Matuolis" (which I know, from relatives in Lithuania, is a misspelling of our name that even one of my grandfather's brothers had). She, of course, wouldn't have been Matuolis or Matulis (the male version of the name), but rather Matuolyte or Matulyte (the female version).

Marriage of Jozef Sviatek and Anna Matuolis, 1912

Also listed on the marriage certificate are her parents, my 2x-great-grandparents. I already knew from Juozas that my 2x-great-grandfather was Mykolas (or "Mikulas" as it is misspelled on the certificate), but I didn't know my 2x-great-grandmother was Katrina "Milasziawicziuke". I can't image that's spelled correctly. The certificate, of course, says that they are from "Russia", as Lithuania was, at that time, under the rule of the Tsar.

I was actually quite surprised to find their marriage certificate in the US. I would have thought they'd have married in Lithuania and then come over together. It would have been unusual in those days for a woman to travel over by herself. The certificate gives her address as 339 Chestnut Street in 1912, and I know from the 1920 census that she arrived in the US in 1909. I'll need to check the 1910 census to see who she was living with when she arrived.


UPDATE:  I checked the 1910 census for 339 Chestnut, and Anna wasn't there. It appears to have been some kind of boarding house for Lithuanian immigrants though. Anna must have moved in later. Joseph lived just around the corner, at 143 Manchester Street, according to their marriage record. I'll need to search the census records by name to figure out where she actually was in 1910, but for that I'll have to go back the Genealogy Centre because I don't have subscription to ancestry.com so I can't do index searches.

339 Chestnut Street, Manchester, NH

No comments:

Post a Comment