03 October 2013

Sviatikis

As I already mentioned, when I was in Lithuania I got some help from Raimundas translating the inscriptions on the photos I received from Phyllis. I sent those translations back to Phyllis, along with copies of some photos that were in Juozas's album. Those photos were clearly from the United States because of the cars pictured in them (no such cars were available in the Soviet Union), but Juozas wasn't certain who they were of. My hope was that Phyllis would be able to identify them. I suspected that they had come from her grandmother (Peturnelia Žukauskiene/Kemešite), since her grandmother had received copies of some of the photos that were also in Juozas's album. It must have been the case because she was able to identify most of them as the Žukauskas family.

left to right: Albert Rock (husband of Aniceta Žukauskaite),
Sylvester Žukauskas, and Andrew Žukauskas

left to right:  Andrew Žukauskas, Peturnelia
Žukauskiene/Kemešite, and Sylvester Žukauskas

left to right:  Eva Rock, Aniceta Rock/Žukauskaite,
and Peturnelia Žukauskiene/Kemešite

left to right:  Andrew Žukauskas, Peturnelia
Žukauskiene/Kemešite, and Sylvester Žukauskas

But one of the photos, Phyllis thought, was of Annie "Sviatek". I immediately thought of what Tevuk told me, way back:  his father had two sisters, one of which married somebody by the name of Sviatikis. Annie "Sviatek" may well be his aunt! I had no idea that they gone to the US.

Annie "Sviatek" (Sviatikiene/Matulyte?)
(sister of Silvestras Matulis?)
Phyllis also mentioned that the "Sviatek" family had lived on South Willow Street in Manchester, NH. I had a look in the census records, and sure enough they were there. It shows that Joseph and Anna "Sviatek" were born in Lithuania! He must actually be Joseph (or more likely, Juozas) Sviatikis, and she must be Anna Sviatikiene/Matulyte. That's the first I've seen the problem of having different endings on names solved by dropping them all.

US Census, 1940

Now I'll just need to trace backwards in the US records to see approximately when they arrived, and then have a look in the Lithuanian records to confirm the connection. Hopefully they'll turn up in the Pociuneliai book.

No comments:

Post a Comment