07 February 2015

Vytautas's Death

I'm attempting to piece together some of the story of my grandmother's time in Germany after The War, including the death of her first husband, Vytautas Apanavičius. According to the documents I received from the ITS in Germany, Vytautas was treated in a hospital in Bamberg and died in Klingenbrunn / Spiegelau. Another document shows that he died specifically in house number 167 of Spiegelau. From what I remember of močiute's story, she was not there when he died. By the time she got back, "he was already gone". One of the ITS documents shows that she was still in Bamberg. I don't know why. Two others with the Apanavičius name are listed in Bamberg as well, but the dates do not overlap, so I don't know why she was there longer. Nor do I actually know if the other two (Evaristas and Birute) are connected.

Treatment in Bamberg
(doc from ITS)

Death certificate, 13 Dec 1944
(original in German; docs from močiute)

Močiute remains in Bamberg until 5 Jan 1945

Grave registration from ITS


No comments:

Post a Comment