13 March 2014

Tribute

I have lost the last of my grandparents. Chute passed away in the morning hours of this past Sunday. She was 93 and quite healthy, all things considered. The most difficult part for me is that she was doing so well for such a long time (the last 4 years, at least) that I let myself believe she could actually make it to 100. She died peacefully, and with dignity, in her sleep.

In a tribute, I am posting her recipe for šaltibarščiai (cold beet soup). Traditional beet soup is made with kefir, but this is difficult to find in most places outside of Eastern Europe, so the kind she always made (and the kind I always knew growing up) was made with sour cream. It gives a sharper taste, which I prefer.

In the style she would have done it, I provide no measurements, quantities, or definite instructions - something I always found frustrating when I was trying to record our important family recipes. But I've come to terms with the fact that these things have never been static, unchanging, or permanent, just like the people in our lives.

Ingredients:
  • sour cream
  • cooked beets julienne
  • water
  • hard boiled eggs, sliced
  • cucumber, chopped
  • dill (fresh not dried)
  • salt

Mix the beets (and the beet juice) into the sour cream. Add water to get the right thickness. Add chopped cucumbers and eggs. Add dill and a little salt. The most important part is to let it sit in the fridge for at least 24 hours. It's best on day 2-3. During the waiting period, stir it periodically and add salt a little bit at a time. You don't want to taste the salt, but you need it to make the beets weep, which makes the sour cream taste like the beets. Add more water periodically, as it thickens in the fridge.

Skanaus!



No comments:

Post a Comment