16 February 2014

Rollin(itis)

I receive the Scotland's People newsletter periodically, and over the last couple years they've been making announcements of newly released "valuation rolls", which are records of property ownership. I haven't paid them much attention because my Scottish-Lithuanian ancestors were almost certainly not property owners. Little did I know, however, the valuation rolls also list tenants of properties!

I've only done a preliminary search so far, but I've found a few. I've turned up Vincent, William, John, and Antanas Kisielius. I'm not certain if any of them is related, but I suspect they are brothers of Kazimiras Sr. John might actually be their uncle. But detailed family information isn't provided on the rolls, so they probably won't help that much. In fact, they seem to only list the head of household.

At first, I wasn't finding anything when I searched for Raulinitis (and its variants), so I decided to have a look using the address where I know they were located for a time, 178 Rose Street. And I found what I believe to be a match. It lists a "Matthew Rollin, miner". It's got to be Motiejus, my great-great-grandfather - correct address, correct time, similar sounding Anglicized name. Again, it doesn't tell me much about the family, but knowing that they also used "Rollin" could be a real help. That means they went by Raulinitis, Rolwich, Rowland, and Rollin, all of which came from the most probable correct version, Raulinaitis.

Something rather interesting it does show, however, is the amount that it cost in rent per year. In 1915, they were paying 9 pounds 5 shillings. But by 1920 they were paying 11 pounds 5 shillings. More than 21% increase in rent in just 5 years!! Bloodly slumlords! From what I understand, people were living in absolute squalor in that area during that time, and to see how they were being squeezed of what little that had really gets me. At least the 1915 roll lists the proprietor, Mary Archibald of Lenzie, so we can know who was leeching off of those who were doing real work. I'd spit now, for dramatic effect, if weren't for the fact that you'd never know and I'd just have to clean it up in a few minutes.

1915 rent £9, 5s.

1920 rent £11, 5s.

No comments:

Post a Comment