09 January 2014

Antonina Kemešienė

I've been working hard with my vastly inadequate Lithuanian, assisted by Google Translate, to decode what is written on the death certificate I mentioned in the last post. And I think I've figured out most of it. Here's what I've got:

Death DayAge of DeceasedWhen, where, who died? What disease did they have, or what was the cause of death, given last rights?Has been married and how many years? What they did and where they were [prisirašiusi]? What was the parish? What was the name of the parents? What is left of the family?What, when and where buried?
Original945Tūkstantis devyni šimtai dvidešimts šeštaio metais, Rug[iučio/jutis] devinta diena, Kurgul[eione?] Krekenavos valščiaus, Panevėžio apskrities, mirė Antonina Kemešienė gimusė Beironi[te?], širdies liga.Ištekėjusi [48?] metu, ūkininkė, prisirašiusi prie Krekenavos valščiaus, Panevėžio apskr[ities] šios parapijos. Kazimiero Beironio dūktė. Šeimynos paliko: vyro Konstanta, sūnus: Juoza 26m, Silvestra 23m, dūkteris: Veronika 21m, Ona 28m, Vincenta 30m ir Petronele 31m.Kun[?] jos palaidojo Klebonas kunigas Yonas Steikunas 11 rugpiučia špū. Pociuneliu parapijos kapuose.
Translation945One thousand nine hundred twenty sixth year, ninth day of August, Kurgul[ai?], Kekenava district, Panevežys county, died Antonina Kemešiene born Beiron[yte?], heart disease.Married [48?] years, farmer, [prisirašiusi?] near Krekenava district, Panevežys county, this parish. Daughter of Kazimieras Beironis. Family remaining: husband Konstantas, sons: Juozas 26, Silvestras 23, daughters: Veronika 21, Ona 28, Vincenta 30, and Petronele 31.Her body was buried by pastor Yonas Steikunas, 11 August [špū.] Počiuneliai parish under the sod.

This tells me at least a few really interesting things. First, Antonina's father, my 3x-great-grandfather, was called Kazimieras Beironis. That's another generation back that I hadn't yet found anything about. Second, there is another Silvestras! My great-grandmother Ona's brother also had the name. Ona eventually married Silvestras Matulis, which is where I always assumed my name came from, but it appears to go even farther back than that, and on both sides.

Some of it is still unclear because it appears to say she was 45 years old, but was married for 48 years. This matters because one of the things I want to know is if Ona and Petronele are full or half sisters. If Antonina was actually married to Konstantas for 48 years, they probably are full sisters.

To do next:
  1. find Antonina's birth record to establish age
  2. find Antonina's and Konstantas' marriage to establish length of marriage
  3. find birth records of Ona and Petronele to establish if they are full or half sisters
The last thing is that I'm pretty sure that one of the photos I have is of Antonina's funeral. I got it originally from Phyllis. And when I was in Lithuania Raimundas helped me to translate the inscription on the back. It explains that the mother of the recipient of the photo is in the casket. Since Phyllis had it, it must have originally been sent to Petronele by Konstantas. He is pictured to the right of the casket with the recognizable (and impressive!) mustache (topped only by the guy on the far left).

Funeral for Antonina Kemešiene

No comments:

Post a Comment