25 July 2013

Flights are Booked

I booked a flight to Lithuania for this September!  After just about a lifetime of anticipation, I'll be headed to Lithuania for the very first time.  I've wanted to go with my cousins for years and years, but I finally realized that coordinating something between all of us was going to be near impossible.  And if I left Scotland without going, I'd really regret it (it's less than £100 round trip on a direct flight to Kaunas!).

I'll have about 11 days there, and I'm certain I won't get to do everything I want to do.  I'm going a few days before Jess because I want to spend some time in the family history archive.  I also plan to visit the home towns of my grandparents, Vilkaviskis and Pasvalys.  Before going, I really hope to make contact with some relatives that are still there, but we haven't had contact with them in years and I'm not certain I'll be able to find them (planning to call Chute for info tonight).

Of course, I'm also planning/hoping to get to the famous sites like Trakai Castle, Gediminas Tower, the Hill of Crosses, and the Curonian Spit.  I'd like to get a cooking lesson and learn how to make cepelinai.  And I plan to gorge myself on kugelis, beet soup, and pickles.  I had wanted also to see a Lithuanian basketball game, specifically Zalgiris from Kaunas, but the season doesn't start until the end of September.  On the heavier side of things, I also plan to visit the genocide museum in Vilnius, where I can hopefully get some information about my great-uncle Kazimiras.  September is supposed to be a really nice time to go, as it will have started to cool down.  I really can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment