09 April 2012

First Contact

I've made contact with my distant Lithuanian-Scottish relatives, the Rolwich's.  A couple weeks back I sent a letter explaining our relation with a couple documents from the archive and the family tree.  Just the next night I got a call from Brian, my second-cousin-once-removed.  They were all blown away by what I had uncovered, "gobsmacked" they told me.  I was really pleased to find out that they were as intrigued and as keen as to meet as I was.  There was no way to be sure how they would react.

Paul, Martin, Brian, me, and Therese

We invited them over for a visit to meet.  By chance, the first opportunity we got was today, Easter.  So while I missed out on the Matulis gathering on the other side of the Pond, we had our own over here.  And I did my best to reconnect them to their Lithuanian roots - complete with an egg cracking competition, kugelis, cold beet soup, and a flag for each of them.  It was a really great time.  So much more to say, but no time to say it in!

Saltibarsciai

In honor of Machute

Kugelis!

A flag egg is always essential.
   
Which means we also needed a Saltire.

And one from our side of the Atlantic.

In honor of their favorite football/soccer club.

And something more traditional.




And they really made Jessee's day with these!

No comments:

Post a Comment